Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Working Women

I noticed today that of the ten women who work in my department, only one is married, and I'm the only one with a boyfriend. And we're not young. In fact, I think I'm the youngest, which isn't saying much. So it's not the "I'm young and single" excuse.

Of the ten men who work in my department (strangely equal numbers) only one is NOT married, and he has a girlfriend.

So what's going on here? Both the men and women are successful and hard working. And I've noticed this trend among nearly all the offices I've worked in the past two and a half years.

I have so many mixed emotions about these statistics and so many questions. Is it because woman are supposed to keep the home fires burning, and if they're not, then no one else is going to for them? Is it because they've all lost their marriages and had to go back to work to survive? Is it because they are fiercely independent women and as a result there's little time for significant others? Is it personal? Is it society? Is it culture? Is it Northern Virginia?

I feel angry and confused and honored and proud of these women.

But I mostly just feel sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered the same thing myself at different points in time - in and out of the MC, and as a sociologist. Really interesting (and somewhat sad indeed). Sarah