Monday, November 14, 2011

What I Do - When I have Nothing to Do

Well, I suppose I should preface this with the well-known fact that it is a very rare instance that I actually have “nothing to do.” Usually if there is even the hint that I might have nothing to do in the upcoming weeks, I will instantly go out and find something else to add to my long list of hobbies or activities or responsibilities. I am trying to get better at not doing that. Honestly. No really. I swear.

As it happens, I have recently let Emily drop Tae Kwon Do, I’ve dropped the second course in a Programming certificate (because my career took a wonderful detour back to Instructional Design and I no longer need to “protect my ASSets” by beefing up on programming theories and languages), and I quickly packed away a ball gown I feverishly started cutting out one night thinking I was going to whip it together in a week for an event I wasn’t even planning on attending. I have to admit that I allowed myself a HUGE sigh of relief at the thought of now only consuming JAVA when I was relaxing at Shoes Cup and Cork in downtown Leesburg, and getting to sit on my couch and vegetate til 1am rather than sew in my frigid basement.

Okay, reality check: I did start a little mini-business (www.HappyEarthBags.com) making reusable lunch and snack bags, that quickly exploded into including tea cozies and neck cozies and camogie and yoga bags . . . but I digress.

I think I was talking about what I do when I have nothing to do. As it happens, I recently found myself in this unlikely predicament. I started a new job, and while I was awaiting account creations, every form of electronic communication, internet and even basic computer access was decidedly absent from my life. What’s a manic, hyperactive, multi-tasking girl to do?

Holy cow – I make lists! LISTS!!! TONS OF LISTS! I started with your basic “TO DO” list so that I could organize myself in my new position. When I was done though, I noticed that my list was not prioritized (did I mention I’m a bit OCD as well?) So I promptly rewrote the list in order of importance. But hang on, now the list looked a little sloppy and I didn’t really like the pen I’d used to write it. Take out a new sheet of paper, get a better pen, re-write. *sigh* Starting to feel better. But having completed this list, it made me realize that there were some sub-tasks to the items on the list that could be further expanded . . . Of course those needed to be prioritized as well . . .

This was working great and I actually felt I’d accomplished something with my day. But when I got home, the itch to list wouldn’t go away. I sat down that night (because I found myself once again with “nothing to do”) and made some more lists: House To Do Lists, Writing To Do Lists, Health To Do Lists, Christmas Lists, Wish Lists, Bucket Lists, Lists of lists I needed to list.

Once I had purged every possible list I could think of relating to my life, I went downstairs to my frigid basement and started to sew. Just want to make sure I don't catch myself with nothing to do.

No comments: