Friday, April 20, 2012

Our Bags are Packed!


Well, not really.  But I have decided that I am going to start saving up to take my kids (and myself of course) somewhere fun and exciting each year.  Clearly my first trip will have to be at least a year from now in order for me to have time to save up.  But, I'm serious!  I really want to do this.

I remember years ago, before I had kids, my friend Sue making fun of me for declaring that when I had kids, I would never let them slow me down.  She teased me saying she could just see me throwing my kids in a sling on my back and hiking through Europe like it was no big deal.  And I visualized myself doing just that, and it made me smile.  Somewhere along the way, I lost some of that momentum . . . naturally.  But I am ready to put that dream into play now!

I'm trying to create a Top 10 list of places I want to take them (one for the US, and one for out of the US) and it's been fun just thinking about it.  Obviously, this is only one trip a year, so if I am even able to do this, it will realistically take me 20 years to accomplish.  At some point my kids may get sick of me dragging them around and tell me to back off . . . but I'm hoping they don’t.

So . . . where shall we go? My friend Jen told me I should start with English-speaking countries since the kids are small.  Makes sense.  We could do the whole England, Scotland, Ireland thing . . .

Then I came across this blog http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/ten-great-things-to-do-with-kids/

Yes!  This looks like so much fun!  Granted, I kinda have a love-hate relationship with France.  But I think it would be a fun place to start.

Anyway, here’s a tentative list I’ve started.  I only have five each at this point, but I’d love your feedback!

Non-US:
1.      UK
2.      France
3.      Spain
4.      Italy
5.      Russia

US:
1.      Lake Tahoe
2.      Yosemite
3.      Grand Canyon
4.      San Francisco
5.      Boston

1 comment:

twisterfish said...

My list so far...
Non-US:
1. Ireland
2. Poland
3. Italy
4. Australia

US:
1. all the NW states
2. Grand Canyon
3. Maine