Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kids and Pets




Bought the kids some fish today. But it took us going to two different PetCos. Because at the first one I was told that unless I put them in an aerated tank the store would refuse to sell me the fish.

"Seriously?" I asked? "Even the 99 cent sale fish?"

"Yes, ma'am" she said. "it's for the safety of the animals."

"But these are the fish I always had growing up." I kept trying. "I want my kids to have the same experience. And I just want the simple fish bowl deal."

"Nope" she insisted. "They'll die in a bowl." (well, duh!) "We can't sell them to you unless you guarantee they're going in a tank."

"What about the 15 Cent feeder fish?" I'm thinking they cant refuse me these, right? Wrong. Even the one slated for death apparently required a tank with temp control and air bubbles!

"Ok" I said. And left, heading for the next PetCo.

This time, I just asked for the fish and provided no details.

Success.

Oh but did I mention that two minutes after getting the fish out of the bag, Micky pulled his bowl down, the water splashed everywhere, and the fish slid effortlessly down the air vent?

I pulled them out and tossed them back in the bowl . . . Guess well see how tough these little guys are.

P.S.  Of course, we ran across Leo - the most amazing, gentle, lovable shelter mix up for adoption . . .

What's a girl to do? :)

UPDATE (2/28/12):  Leo was adopted by another family.  Probably a good thing.  I decided it's just not the right time for our family to have a dog.  We also bought Beta fish instead of the goldfish.  (Sorry fish lovers, the Petco lady was right and they died within a few days in our bowls.)  The Betas, however, are FLOURISHING!  =)

No comments: