Monday, January 2, 2012

Thoughts on Thursdays: 2011 Recap

Okay - following in the footsteps of my Women Who Write bloggers, Clueless But Hopeful and Beyond Diapers I am posting a fill-in-the-blank recap for 2011.  And by the way, I have edited this a few times in case you come back and it looks a little different.  (Accidentally left out a few of the questions).  And if the numbering is off, sorry.  That’s from editing as well.  My posts, just like my life, are always a work in progress.  Check back often to witness the changes. 

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Took a step back.
I wrote this first, then wrote the rest of the post, then came back to this and thought to myself, "Did I?"  Not sure if this statement is accurate anymore, as this is also the year I:
  • Started writing a novel, Train Wreck
  • Started writing my grandmother's memoir, My Life as a Saint
  • Started a reusable bag line, HappyEarth Bags
  • Started three new blogs to host my creative endeavors
  • Started a programming class
  • Travelled to Ireland twice

However, in my defense, I also:
  • Took a break from writing when I knew it was overwhelming me.Canceled my Family Tree subscription when I realized I was staying up til 3am night after night chasing down the elusive new leaves that kept popping up.
  • Said "no" to making more snack bags and yoga bags before the end of the year, so that I could focus on my family instead.
  • Quit my programming class half way through but still managed a "B"
  • Stopped pulling weeds out of my yard when my fingers were bleeding and it wasn't making a difference anyway.
  • Learned to let the dishes pile up in the sink.
  • Learned to let the toys overwhelm the toy room.
  • 2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I think my only resolutions for 2011 were: 
    • Survive
    • Be true to yourself
    I think I managed both.
    This year, my resolutions are as follows:
    • Do Less
    • Believe in Yourself
    3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    No.  Sadly.  I LOVE babies!  =)  The kids keep asking me when we can adopt some babies to make a bigger family.  I love that they love babies, too, and feel loved enough to want to add more to our family.

    4. Did anyone close to you die?
    No.  Happily.

    5. What countries did you visit?
    Ireland.



    6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
    These kinds of questions are difficult for me because I don’t like “regret.”  However, if forced to answer a question like this, I would have to say, I would love to have more sleep, more adventures, and more stability.  Do those even go together?

    7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    January 29th – thanks to a snow storm that kept my mom at my house an extra week, I was able to attend the DC Gaels’ Dinner Dance and Award’s Ceremony and met Barry.
    Barry and Me at the Dinner Dance

    8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    FINANCES:  Made ends meet financially and was able to splurge a little on Christmas this year.  Got a promotion and a raise at work.
    KIDS:  My BIGGEST achievement of the year was HANDS DOWN, cutting out the extracurricular activities for the kids.  Several months ago, I decided to drop EVERYTHING the kids were signed up for afterschool (except CCD) and it was the MOST liberating thing for all of us.  It gave us so much more time back and relieved us of so much stress!  I don’t care if my kids will not become master soccer players or Tae Kwon Do black belts at the age of 9 – WE will be a solid family!
    SELF:  Finally hearing a positive inner voice.

    9. What was your biggest failure?
    Not eating right.

    10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Started the year with “Victorian” ailments:  Croup, Whooping Cough, Vitamin D deficiency and lice
    Ended the year with “stress” ailments:  Migraines and Thyroid and Intestinal Issues   

    11. What was the best thing you bought?
    Plane tickets to Ireland and an Xbox 360 for the kids for Christmas.  I was especially proud of the Xbox because I saved up all year to buy it.  Made me feel like I’d really accomplished a savings goal.

    12. Where did most of your money go?
    Kids' school/daycare/aftercare and mortgage. 
    Oh, and I guess I cannot forget the $3000 I spent on maintenance for my car this year.  Sucks, but I grow very attached to things, especially my car.  And while it is a gas guzzler, it fits all three of my kids in carseats comfortably and I love to drive it.  It’s paid for and I’ve driven it for nearly 4 years now.

    13. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Micky.  He finally reached the stage by the end of the year where he only throws 5 fits a day and they generally last no more than 5 minutes each.  I cannot tell you what a MIRACLE this is!

    14. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    Sandusky.  I cannot tell you how strongly I detest this man.  And do NOT tell me innocent until proven guilty.  There are not fires strong enough in Hell to grant reprieve for the innocence he stole.

    15. Did you fall in love in 2011?
    Why yes, I believe I did.  Strangely enough, with myself first (“Well, hello my lovely self!  Where have you been all my life?”).  Next with my life and all its imperfections (I WILL make mistakes, and I will not self-combust and take out half the world’s population when I do).  And, finally, with Barry (though admittedly I am still a little shaky saying it out loud). 

    16. What did you want and get?
    A break.

    17. What did you want and not get?
    A break.

    18. What did you get really excited about?
    Making decisions on my own.  You’re probably thinking, “What?  You’re 38, you’ve never made decisions on your own?”  The sad fact is that most of my life I’ve been making decisions based on how I thought it would affect others, how others would feel about my decisions, how my decisions would impact my relationships with others.  This was the first year that I TRULY made decisions based on what was right for ME (and obviously my kids).  And I don’t mean I suddenly became selfish and self-centered and could care less about others.  I simply mean, financial decisions, work decisions, life decisions, I thought about ME first.  It’s hard to explain, but it was momentous and a bit life-altering.

    19. What song will always remind you of 2011?
    Feels Like Home – Edwina Hayes

    20. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    • happier or sadder? Happier – without a doubt
    • thinner or fatter? The same, though my face has gotten thinner again and I am not happy about that.
    • richer or poorer?  Definitely less poor – in all aspects of my life: financially, emotionally and spiritually.
     21. What do you wish you’d done more of?
    Exercise, read to the kids, read to myself, watch tv.

    22. What do you wish you’d done less of?
    Worry.

    23. How did you spend Christmas?
    Spent the day before with my parents, my kids and Barry.  We made a huge dinner (everyone pitched in on something – my dad was the store runner), opened all our family gifts, then went to evening candlelight service at church.  Christmas day, kids opened their Santa gifts (RENTON decided to get up at 1:30 am, open EVERYTHING, help himself to Emily and Micky’s gifts he decided he’d like to have, then woke Emily up at 2:30 – which is when I first caught him – then again at 4:30 and finally at 6am.) Then the kids went to be with their Dad, and Barry and I went to the movies to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie.  LOVED IT! 
    Barry, Renton, Emily, Me and Micky
    24. What was your favorite TV program?
    I have found myself addicted to GRIMM.  I am not normally a fan of this type of movie or TV show.  HOWEVER, at a very early age I absolutely fell in love with the Grimm Fairytales.  I read every collection our library had and had them nearly memorized by the age of 7.  What I love about this show is how they are weaving in the old tales with new “villains.”  After all, Grimm stories were originally cautionary tales and I think it’s great to see them brought into the 21st Century.  (I will admit the gore and changelings are a little hokey from time to time, but I still like it.)

    25. What were your favorite books of the year?
    Stephanie Barron’s Jane Austen series.  If you like Jane Austen you HAVE to read these books!  So much fun.

    26. What was your favorite music from this year?
    Mumford and Sons – Sigh No More

    27. What were your favorite films of the year?
    • Sherlock Holmes – Game of Shadows
    • The Help
    • Bridesmaids
    • Rio
    28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I turned 38 this year.  It’s still hard for me to believe.  I know people say it all the time, but I truly do not feel this old.  I took the kids out to Cheesecake Factory and we had a nice meal and bought a delicious cheesecake to share for dessert.  I also received a beautiful bouquet of flowers all the way from Ireland from Barry. A week later, my parents came up and my Mom and I celebrated our joint birthdays, and a few days later I was in Ireland and got an amazing spa weekend getaway and another beautiful pair of earrings from Barry.  It was a wonderful birthday!


    29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Becoming independently wealthy:  Freeing me to write, sew, travel and spend time with my kids without worrying about having only $5 left in my account at the end of the month.

    30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
    Hand-me-down chic.  J  I am always immensely thankful to my sister and my mom for buying such awesome clothes because I always get their hand-me-downs when they are still in excellent shape!  Sarah gives me great sweaters and tops and pants (that I only have to take up about 4 inches), and my mom is constantly giving me FANTASTIC shoes!  I always get compliments and while my mom would cringe if she knew, I always thank people and say, “They’re hand-me-downs from my Mom (or sister)!”  People always look at me a little funny, but I am proud that we can all wear and use clothes efficiently and that they still look nice enough to earn compliments. 

    31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    • Marky Mark (oops – I mean Mark Wahlberg, I still fancy that video where he’s dancing on a wet street in a parking garage or something like that).   OH MY LORD!  I just googled the video - Good Vibrations - did my parents LET me watch that???  ;) 
    • Robert Downey, Jr.  (My sister Sarah would like to point out there’s a theme here.  I would be happy to agree – hotness!)
    32. What political issue stirred you the most?
    Unfortunately none.  I’m so done with conflict and controversy in my own life, I just don’t have the stomach for it anywhere else right now.  Sorry.  Maybe I’ll get some conviction in 2012

    33. Who did you miss?
    My little sister Sarah.  I think she is mean for following her dreams and moving out to Ohio.  (Not that moving out to Ohio was her dream, but she moved out there to be with her boyfriend and pursue her dreams of writing.  http://www.marinechick.com/ )
    
    Sarah and Me at Sarah's 30th Birthday
    34. Who was the best new person you met?
    • The Women in my Writers’ Group (Inspiring - Plain and simple.)
    • Barry (One of the kindest, most generous, caring people I know.)
    • Myself (Sounds self-centered, I know.  But it's been a journey.)
    35. What kept you sane?
    The absolutely priceless gift of friendship and family that I have been blessed with.  It may have taken being brought to my lowest point in order to really accept the gift, but I have and it has saved my sanity over and over and over again this year.

    Pete (Sarah's Boyfriend), Sarah, Me, Mom, Dad
    Renton, Emily and Micky
    Fourth of July 2011
    36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
    And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
    Get over your hill and see what you find there,
    With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair
    Mumford and Sons – After the Storm



    37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011

    A card I keep on my bathroom mirror to remind myself when I forget.

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    What a wonderful post! You made me cry and cheer for you! 2012 is sure to be an excellent year for you!

    Anonymous said...

    Very cool!

    Anonymous said...

    I just simply love you!