Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Poop Goes Here, Micky . . .

The poop goes here Micky.
Yep.
Right here.


Why is this concept so difficult for my three-year old?  He's potty trained.  He's sleeping through the night and waking up clean and dry.  But he has not . . . ever . . . never . . . (okay, ONE time, by some accidental miracle) pooped in the toilet! 

He doesn't act scared.  He doesn't scream about it.  He just won't do it.  Not at school.  Not at home.  Not on the road.  In fact, he actually saves it up for as long as he can.  As evidenced by the MASSIVE size that when dumped from the pants, completely stops up the toilet, even without a scrap of toilet paper added.  Which, I would like to add, seems like a physical impossibility.  I mean, c'mon.  Look at the picture up there.  How does something come out of Micky but not go down that toilet?!?

Anyway, I have tried (as recommended by pediatricians and friends) fiber, laxatives, more water, less milk, treats, charts, pizza, movies.  NOTHING has motivated him to go in the toilet.  In fact, the more we try, the longer he simply holds it.  He knows how to NOT poop in his pants, just not how to get it in the toilet.

And the best part?  I always know when the accursed poop has finally made its way out of my poor little Micky.  He is hiding under the table in the playroom, or the kitchen, or behind the bunk beds in his room.  Without fail.  Accident = hide under a table or bed.

So I know Micky doesn't want to do this.  But how do I help him? 

I'm open to suggestions.

Please.

Poop in the toilet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My son was 3 when he became fully potty trained. He had already accomplished not peeing in his pants, or overnight without wetting himself, but poop, yes, this was the last frontier.

So, as these mommy stroke-of-genius-moments happen, I was getting him ready for bed and about to grab the usual pull-up when I saw that I had some more diapers left, and realized I better make use of them now before he was too big.

Then, at the same moment, Reagan asks if I am getting him a pull-up or his underwear. And, when I told him it was neither and he was getting a diaper, he looked mortified. Then he begged and pleaded not to have a diaper because that's for babies, to which I explained that babies have diapers because they poop in their pants. And, right now, you still poop in your pants, and once you don't poop in your pants and go on the potty then you then you won't have to be in a diaper.

He promised to use the potty to poop and the next day he did. I cried. Before that night, I had tried the reward system using candy or anything else that would get him to try to poop, but to no avail. So for my child the connection to diaper-pooping-baby versus being a big boy with pull-ups or underwear was the "switch" that made the light bulb go on!

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca said...

Robin, I'm so glad that strategy worked for you! I think I had tried ten different strategies at this point and I know at my core that with my two youngest, the only strategy that works with them is . . . time. I have to just let it go (and write about it as a form of therapy ;).

Ironically, not too long after posting this, Micky, on his own, started using the potty for poos. He has not had one accident! (knock on some serious wood!)

Thanks for sharing!