Friday, March 2, 2012

Is it ever too early to be proud of your child's values?


I love the fact that my son chooses his friends based on their kindness and intelligence.

I don't think I've ever heard him say "So-and-so is so popular!"  or "So-and-so is the coolest kid in the shcool, I want to be friends with her."

When just before Christmas Renton announced that he had a "girlfriend", I was intrigued. 

"Oh yah?  What's she like?"  I asked.  (Secretly terrified that this part of Renton's life had already begun.)

His face lit up and he said, "She is SOOOOO smart!  She is so nice.  She helps other kids in class.  She's really polite.  She likes me and she's nice to me."  He paused.  "And she's REALLY pretty!"

When I met his "girlfriend" at the Christmas Program a few weeks later, I had to agree.  She is an adorable little girl.  And she was very nice and obviously the other kids in the class liked her, too. 

This weekend, he has excitedly planned his first playdate all on his own.  With a little boy in his class who is equally "smart" and "kind" and "polite".  Renton tells me how they both like to read the same books and are "good at computers". 

Am I possibly proud that my son is what some would classify as "geeky"?  ABSOLUTELY 100%!  But what I am more proud of is the fact that HE is proud of that.  Because the more he sees these traits (GOOD traits) as necessary and important and "cool", the more he expresses this outloud, and continues to make and maintain friendships everywhere he goes, then the more other kids around him will start valuing these traits as well.  And if this world needs more of anything, it's more people who are "smart" and "kind" and "polite".

And so each time I think about Renton and his little friend, I think about the order in which he listed the adjectives describing her.  "Smart", "Nice", "Helpful", "Kind", "Beautiful".  If those are the qualifications by which he chooses his friends (and hopefully will always choose his girlfriends) then I know he is on the right path to good places in his life. 

1 comment:

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Awesome! You *should* be proud!